skip navigation links

Funding for Home and Community

Resources for ALL regardless of disability category:

Home Modification Loan Program (HMLP)

This state funded MRC program provides low-interest and no-interest loans for people to who need "access modifications"--like ramps and wider doorways--to their primary, permanent residence. See Loan Information.

Massachusetts Assistive Technology Loan Program (MATLP)

The MATLP gives people with disabilities and their families access to low-interest cash loans to buy the assistive technology devices they need. See Loan Information.

Central Bank Special Needs Loans

This Central Bank loan program provides fixed rate loans with longer repayment terms to help customers with special needs purchase AT, including vehicle and home modifications. See Loan Information.

Citizen's Bank EZ Home Improvement Loans

Citizen's Bank provides qualified low and moderate income households with low-interest cash loans for home improvements, including home modifications, up to $10,000. Applicants may be renters or homeowners. The loans are not available in all areas of Massachusetts. See Loan Information.

Digital Federal Credit Union Loans

The DFCU provides qualified applicants who are members of the American Association of People with Disabilities with "Access Loans" for AT, DME, and home modifications, and "Mobility Vehicle Loans" for vehicles and vehicle modifications. The loans offer longer repayment terms and financing for up to 100% of the purchase amount. See Loan Information.

Private Organizations

The private organizations listed here provide AT funding or services for individuals on a case-by-case basis. Read more.

The following private organizations may provide AT/DME funding or services for individuals on a case-by-case basis:

Elks Association--Massachusetts

Assistance to individuals may be infrequent, but applicants should contact their local lodge to learn about funding priorities and available resources. Find your local lodge

Knights of Columbus

Home modifications, van modifications, and hearing aid assistance to people with intellectual disabilities of any age, as well as children and young adults with other disabilities. Contact your local council directly to apply for assistance.
Find your local council.

Massachusetts State Council Knights of Columbus
470 Washington St. (P.O. Box 194)
Norwood MA 02062
(781) 551-0628
(781) 551-0490 FAX

Lion's Club Projects--Massachusetts

Lions clubs throughout Massachusetts support and provide vision and hearing services, including some low-vision aids.
Find your local Lions club.


Applicants should contact their local lodge to learn about funding priorities and available resources.

The Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. of Massachusetts
186 Tremont St Boston, MA 02111
(617) 426-6040
(800) 882-1020 (within Massachusetts)

Multiple Sclerosis Society-Greater New England Chapter

The MSS Home LINKS program (Living Independently Navigating Key Services) provides people with MS in MA, ME, VT and NH with short term care management services designed to stabilize a client at home during a difficult time. Services may include evaluating home safety and accessibility, arranging for home-based care, and arranging for durable medical equipment.

MSS-Greater New England
101A First Ave, Suite 6
Waltham, MA 02451
(800) 493-9255-information and referral
(781) 890-4990

Muscular Dystrophy Association

MDA operates clinics nationwide for individuals with neuromuscular diseases; equipment loans are part of their services, subject to availability.
Find your local MDA clinic
(800) 344-4833

Health Care Service Coordinator
Brenda Lavarnway
(617) 348-2155

Rotary Club

Contact your local Rotary club to learn about funding priorities and available resources.
Find your local club

Shriner's Hospitals for Children

The Shriners operate pediatric hospitals to provide specialized care for orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries and cleft lip and palate. All services, including needed AT, are provided at no charge.

Patient referral line: (800) 237-5055
Shriner's website

SHARE Foundation, Inc.

Custom-designed assistive computer technology for people with disabilities. SHARE has provided technology to people with cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, ALS, muscular dystrophy, as well as those disabled by strokes, accidents, and head injury. Most clients are not self-supporting and receive SHARE equipment and training at little or no cost.

SHARE Foundation
285 Old Westport Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
(508) 999-8482 Voice
(508) 999-8489 FAX

Starkey Hearing Foundation

The Starkey Hearing Foundation provides over 10,000 hearing aids a year to those who need them according to its own eligibility guidelines.

Starkey Hearing Foundation
6700 Washington Ave South
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
(800) 769-2799 Voice
(952) 828-6946 FAX

United Cerebral Palsy

Each UCP affiliate has access to the Bellows Fund, a modest source of AT funding for low-income individuals with any kind of disability. UCP Berkshire additionally offers an equipment loan program (access ramps, lifts, mobility equipment), training for computer equipment, information and training services for telecommunications equipment and other AT. Assistance accessing public and private AT funding sources is also available.

UCP of Berkshire County
208 West Street
Pittsfield, MA 01201
(413) 442-1562
(413) 499-4077 Fax

UCP of Metro Boston
71 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA 02472
(617) 926-5480
(617) 926-3059 Fax

Wheelchair Recycler, Inc.

Dave Heim refurbishes and distributes pre-owned power wheelchairs and electric scooters at very low cost to people without health insurance or people who do not qualify for equipment. He will also pick up donated chairs and scooters and offers parts and a repair service.

Wheelchair Recycler, Inc.
60 Carver Hill Road
Marlborough, MA 01752
(508) 460-6328

Please email if you know of another private organization that is a resource for AT funding.

Close this panel